Saturday, May 28, 2011

Death Grips - Exmilitary [Free Mixtape]


SHIT this is dope! I know the term “refreshing” may be thrown around too often here on the Idol Threat blog but I'd be hard pressed to think of a recent Hip Hop release that sounds as unique as Death Grips' Exmilitary does. The group consists of producer FLATLANDER who also works on their videos and some vocals, MC RIDE who is the main lyricist, and Zach Hill of Sacramento math rock band Hella who provides the drums and beatmaking. All 3 members however contributes to every aspect of the project. Electronic and Avant Garde Hip Hop that neither sounds pretentious or corny is hard to come by but luckily these guys manages to pull it off with a resulting blend that is frenetic, passionate and surprisingly organic. If you're tired of rappers sounding bored or "cooler than thou" and passing off their indifference and ill-conceived confidence as "swag" then the ferocity of Death Grips will be a breath of fresh air, grunted and gruff though it may be.

If I was being simplistic I would say that this is what Anti-Pop Consortium mixed with the high energy Hip Hop from the South would sound like. If I was being hyperbolic [which I almost NEVER am] then I would say that this is the sound that I never knew I was always looking for. If I were making comparisons I'd say that this is reminiscent of Saul William & Trent Reznor's Niggy Tardust project, Wu-Tangs foray into dubstep, or the dark soundscapes of Dälek but even those examples fall somewhat short of describing their sound.

Hip Hop Cali collective OFWGKTA may be the current media darlings but if Wolf Gang is the sound of the 'odd future' then Death Grips is the post-apocalyptic after party. This isn't your typical Hip Hop album so give it some time to sink in, it has a Charles Manson intro and a fucking Black Flag sample for pete's sake! This will be stuck in my rotation this for quite some time, expect big things from this group. Quick tip: if you visit the MP3 section of their site you can download 3 more songs that aren't on the mixtape but are HIGHLY recommended. You can find all the links after the video below [I damn near shat myself when I heard the beat breakdown at the end of Guillotine.]



Download Here: Death Grips - Exmilitary

Death Grips Website: http://thirdworlds.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment